Minutes may seem to go by slow or fast, but they are all sweet. Once they are they are gone. Come along with me on my adventure of mom, teacher, and wife.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

sweet lovely "yumo" pumpkin bread



This is a family favorite!  Caleb has declared this to be "yumo", especially the cookies.

But not only am I going to give you the recipe I use, but if you painted your pumpkins like I did mine you can cut them up and use that instead of buying the can stuff.  Most canned Pumpkin is 16 oz which equals 2 cups.

This is how you do that... cut pumpkin half, take out seed and stringy stuff, place on cookie sheet. Cook in oven at 350 for at least an hr.  (The bigger the pumpkin the longer. I had one big one that each half I cooked for 1hr 45 min.) Drain as much as the clear liquid as possible.
Place in blender or mixer until it is pureed.  A quick mixer tip.  "Place a lint free towel over your mixer and bowl to help cut down on having to clean up splatter." 

From here you can use or freeze.

side tip.  I often have batter left over and I make drop cookies from the batter.  cook for about 8-10 min at 350. 

Pumpkin Bread (from Betty Crocker's)
Pre-heat oven to 350.
1 can (16 ounces or two cups) (I use a touch more than this. probably 2 1/2 cups)
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla (my vanilla is stronger than most... add 3-4 teaspoons to equal my 2)
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour) (mine uses all-purpose)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (or less)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
optional: 1/2 cup nuts and/ or raisins.  (Mine has neither.)

I will give you their directions and mine.  Since I cook 4-6 batches I do mine so I'm out of the kitchen a bit quicker.  My bowls are not big enough to hold two batches.  This will yield around 3-4 large loaf pans.

Instructions:
1.  Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. (very important! I take out one of my racks and place it over the sink for a "dryer rack")  Heat oven to 350.  Grease bottoms of loaf pans with shortening. (I use spray canola oil.)
2.  Mix pumpkin, sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in large bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour into pans.  (Here I differ quite a bit. I do all the dry ingredients in as many bowls as I'm doing batches.  Then as I'm mixing I add in liquid ingredients that I whip as needed.  That way raw eggs are sitting out a much less time.  You will have to mix on a higher speed for longer.  And I'm not in the kitchen that long.  It does mean more dishes, but that is what dishwashers are for.)
3.  Bake 8-inch loaves 50-60 min, 9 inch loaf 1hr10min- 1hr20min, until toothpick comes out clean. Coll 10 min in pans on wire rack.  Loosen sides of loaves from pans; removes from pans and place top side up on wire rack.  Cool completely before slicing.  Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days. (This is easily frozen.  Thaw in the fridge)

Baking time for mini loaves:
Amount of batter:               approximate time bake time at 350.
1/4 cup                                             15-20 min
1/3 cup                                             15-20 min
1/2 cup                                             25-35 min
3/4 cup                                             35-40 min

No comments:

Post a Comment